Admin site revisited

For now I’ve added a basic user interaction console method which allows to send commands  and receive responses from the XBee network. I would like to add more functionality but it is kind of hard to include specific handlers for every XBee AT command because there are really a lot. I’ll have to team up with other people involved in this project to discuss what functionality we want to support and which ones we would like to ignore and handle with the Digi software. Furthermore I also experimented a bit more with other Java Servlet webservers… As said, Glassfish really takes a lot of time to startup, same counts for Tomcat. If stumbled upon 2 more webserver applications (Jetty & Winstone) which should be a less of a burden to run. Winstone seems to be the lightest one of the two but I failed to get it running. Furthermore, this Winstone project doesn’t seem to be updated any longer, but I managed to get the Jetty webserver up and running on the Raspberry-pi and I also managed to deploy my first JSP website on the remote (Raspberry-pi) webserver. After launching the necessary processes I got the following response in my webbrowser:

Screenshot from 2013-05-14 14:41:43

For development purposes however I’ll continue to use the Glassfish webserver on my desktop computer as this one can easily be integrated into Netbeans while Jetty is currently not supported. I’ll also add a Netbeans build command which automatically copies the compiled .war website to the Jetty webserver so that I only need to “git push-pull” my code after compilation if I wanted to test it on the Raspberry-pi.

So, another goal completed, what’s left:
– make the xbee server aware of it’s connected devices
– add a command line page to the admin site
– add GUI configuration possibilities through the admin side
– add more database filtering options

This week however I’ll be writing more text for the thesis than writing program code, and next weekend I’m visiting the south coast of Portugal in between Faro and Sagres. Até à proxima!

Advertisements

XBee data collecting

So, before I take a few days of vacation to explore the city with some of my friends, a few words about my XBee project. Last week I made a XBee API coordinator node which collected IO sampels from remote XBee devices in AT mode. The analog data was generated by connecting a potentiometer to the AD0 port, with one end tied to Vcc (3.3V) and the other end to ground. Afterwards I collected all the data in a imaginary database by writing all data into a textfile. Data packages I save in the ‘database’ look more or less like this:

4-apr-2013 16:11:43#0008#ZNET_IO_SAMPLE_RESPONSE#0x40,0x2e#0x00,0x13,0xa2,0x00,0x40,0x79,0x5a,0xff#

Last week I also set up a TomCat webserver on which I’m running a .JSP website. When requesting the web page I’m at this moment reading from the text file that is used as database, and afterwards I sort all data in a Treemap<String, TreeSet>. Then, I use the RGraph library which shows the analog sample in a nice interactive graph. A dropdown list lets you select the data from each individual network node, as you can see from the picture below:

chart_firstTest